Monday 11 February 2008

ISS part 2 and a short session

Didn't get a lot of observing done last night. After two long sessions with the scope, I figured I probably ought to spend some time with the OH as I don't want jealousy to set in. However, I got outside with my youngest for a look at the ISS. Got outside about 10 minutes early, setup the camera and took a couple of alignment shots, Astonishing amount of detail really considering, so here's the image of Perseus.


I'll be doing some processing on it later, but I can't do that on this PC. Anyway, I had a good look around using the old fashioned mark 1 eyeball. Identifying constellations to my youngest as we went. Cassiopeia, Perseus, Andromeda, Orion, Gemini, Taurus and others, and also pointing out the Pleiades and Hyades. As we waited, he asked if every passing plane was it, but no. Then, we saw something drifting across the sky from the South East into the North West. I believe it was a satellite, probably UARS (Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite). A couple of moments later, there was the ISS. A brilliant point of light. We watched from in the west, across Andromeda, Perseus (I missed the shot here, but to trigger happy), Auriga and on through Gemini, where I managed to capture it on the camera.



Then we could both here the voice of the beehive calling to us. I'd said that I'd like to show this to him, and he was desperate to see it. So I popped indoors, grabbed the scope and the Hyperion, set it all up so that we could see around the house (as it was hiding behind the roof). I got the scope pointed at M44, and then had to grab a chair so that he could stand on it to look in the EP. He was impressed by the beehive. Then time to go in. Only about 20 to 25 minutes last night, but still enjoyable and at least one of the children saw a few things.

No comments: