Saturday 31 May 2008

The SatCatcher in action

After a cloudy day, the evening settled in looking clear. I had two targets for the SatCatcher last night. The ISS and Iridium 25. This time, a more accurate alignment was important as I had planned on using the camera zoom to better frame the pass. First up the ISS. I got setup about 10 minutes early, and as the sky was still really rather pale didn't look about with the bins. With just a minute to go, I went out to capture the image, and a bank of thin cloud had rolled in over my target area. I figured it was worth a shot anyway as a -2.2 mag pass might have burned through the cloud cover. But alas no. I triggered the camera, the shot took place, I looked and a moment later the ISS appeared from the top of the cloud bank. Checking the camera I had an ok picture of some clouds.

About an hour later and time for Iridium 25. I looked out again with about 2 minutes to go, and the cloud that I had expected to blot out the sky had cleared. So I took the camera and SatCatcher back out and aligned everything up. I didn't leave myself enough time to setup the SatCatcher this time, so the shot wasn't central, but the flare was caught nicely at about 5x to 6x zoom on the camera.

Photobucket

I just hope I get a clear spot around the time of the mag -7 flare tonight.

No comments: