Wednesday 17 December 2008

This mornings Moon

For the first time in what feels like weeks, but in reality is less than one, it's enough to drive you nuts, I woke up this morning and the sky was clear and I could see the moon. Well, I swapped the C80ED onto my PortaPod, popped the 450d at prime with the OM mount 2x Teleconverter and headed into the garden. I grabbed a shot in RAW, that I've yet to process, and 10 jpg's to try and stack. Had a bit of a wild time with the stacking tools. Registax was unable to cope with the images being all of the shop (I had to keep moving the tripod head to keep the moon in frame), avistack did the same thing. CombineZ and DSS handled it perfectly. I tried 2 mechanisms in CombineZ and after a couple of tweaks in GIMP to boost contrast and sharpen I got.

Normal CombineZ
Photobucket

Pyramid Contrast Enhanced (I've no idea what this means, but it sounded good)
Photobucket

DSS (this had to be darkened down a bit)
Photobucket

I'm not sure which has worked the best, but it was interesting to see the results. I have yet to process the RAW image.

No comments: