Thursday 6 August 2009

Update on the Rig and a couple of widefields

I've added a couple of bits to my rig over the past couple of months, so now the guide scope is mount next to the imaging scope on a side by side bar, and I've got a set of collimating rings, allowing me to adjust the guide scope if needed. I've also now got a proper power setup, meaning I won't be limited to 2.5 hours from the powertank. It'll be nice to get it out and try it, just hope I can remember how.

Given the crummy weather and lack of dark skies, I've not had the gear our for a couple of months, but there have been a couple of clearish spells that lasted long enough for me to pop the camera on a tripod and try a couple of things.

First off, using the nifty fifty (aka, the Canon EF 50mm II), bit limited in sub length at this focal length, but 10x8s f2.2 @ISO800

Photobucket

Then a few nights later another gap. This time I tried to do a panoramic of the milky way, 3 panes of 10x30s f3.5 18mm @ISO800

Photobucket

They both need some work. I now have an adapter that allows me to fit my LPR filter to the nifty, so that'll be good for some tracked shots. I also need to work out the best aperture to use as the setting has caused some oddities around the edge of the frame. I also need to think about the best way to setup and adjust the tripod for the pano. It was really tricky trying to adjust the head to pass along the milky way and keep roughly the same orientation.

No comments: