Monday 4 January 2010

More Moons

A few moon shots from over Christmas and New Year.

From the 27th, C80ED, 2xTC and 450d on the red snapper.



and pulling out the colour



Then on New Years day, it was clear, but very very cold, I setup for a mosaic. I decided to try a full disk mosaic using the Skymax and x2 Barlow. I set for 750 frames per avi, and started capturing. After capturing the first 45 panes I realised that I was going to run out of disk space before completing (50Gb wasn't enough)... so swapped to 500 frames per avi, and started trying to process the 750 frame avi's to clear some space.

There were a few occasions throughout the evening I thought I was going to run out of sky as clouds scudded through my FOV. And I used that time to process more of the data. Anyway, I continued, only to find, later on, that I'd shot the same strip of the moon twice. I'd not realised, and it didn't show in any of the avi's but there was a little drift in the mount, that could only be seen if left alone for 10 minutes. Yet more time and space wasted (I didn't realise till I was stacking all the frames).

Then, to finish things off, prior to me completing, clouds and snow came in. There wasn't much snow, and I don't think it fell for long, but I wasn't going to risk it. So I packed up.

After finishing the processing of 102 frames, and mosaicing, I got this



I'm pleased with how most of it turned out, just a shame about the small hole, and the remainder of the surface...

I then thought I'd put the 102 frames through MS ICE to see what would happen, and how it would come out. Here's the result, interestingly, ICE has filled in my little hole.



Click either of the above for the full size versions.

I also did a little extra processing on a small mosaic of Copernicus



and a couple of other craters and one Mare...

Mare Crisium


Langrenus


Cleomedes


Petavius


I'm sure they would have been better, had I shot longer AVI's, but I'm happy with the results. I didn't get a chance to image Mars as I'd wanted, although I'm not sure what results I would have achieved, but that's for another day.

No comments: