Tuesday 13 May 2008

Lunar Mozaic - Revisited

I had another go at processing this last night. It was cloudy. Anyway, after some hints from Astro Chat I played around with the settings in Registax and this time, it decided that all the frames in both AVI's were within the 75% quality that it selected as default. I let it run with that, and after a long time processing and some fiddling with wavelets, using the same on both, I had a pair of images. I did a little cropping to remove the stacking lines around the bottom, I'm guessing they came from the seeing wobble in the images. I put them together in imerge. Having done that, back to PS for a sharpen and despeckle and flip (I forgot about the image inversion on my first go). Here's the results.

Photobucket

I think it's a little better than the first go. I also figured out what doesn't quite look right with this image. The limb of the moon is not in focus. I'd been concentrating so hard on the terminator area, I hadn't even noticed this. I guess with my short tube scope, the depth of field is insufficient to cater for the ballness of the moon. This means that on my next go, I'm going to have to adjust focus, that's easier said than done at the moment, and capture another set of avi's to allow for the different focus points, then mozaic those. Ah well, always next time, but another useful tip added to my notes of things to do right next time. I really ought to write them up somewhere.

No comments: