Monday 29 June 2009

Not Iridiums

But rather a couple of other flares... in daylight. Calsky provides predictions of all sorts of flares not just Iridiums. On friday night, I saw IGS1B flaring merrily to itself. It travels very fast and the flare duration was only about 4 seconds. I didn't catch it, my watch isn't accurate enough, and I hadn't allowed for it. Tonight, Calsky predicted MetOp A, flaring at Mag -5. An absolute belter, at 2140. A bit early for the skies you might think, but I setup anyway with the Satcatcher, but even stopping the lens down to f22 (yes overkill and guaranteed to find all the DB's and diffraction central...) I still couldn't get the exposure down enough. So no image of the flare, but what a beauty in that blue blue sky. This one was also very short, maybe only 5 seconds again. It's interesting to see these others flare away.

No comments: