Tuesday 21 April 2009

Adding more time to M51

Another clear night, so I setup again. I'm working on streamlining the setup process, and I've managed to get the entire thing, from deciding to setup, to starting capturing the first full image to under 25 minutes. That's cart out all the gear, level, polar align and fit all the bits together. Wire up the lappy, I added a game controller yesterday, more on that shortly, manually slew to a nice bright star, that way I can set the PHD loop time to very low, and the calibration is over and done in short order. Slew to my target, M51 again, take a series of framing shots and adjust the mount, engage guiding and away.

The game controller, talks to ASCOM and allows me to control the scope position, in the same way the ASCOM control buttons do, but instead of having to mess about with the lappy, I can just move the joystick, much easier. Next up, will be to sort out the Goto features of ASCOM, although I may wait till I'm properly powered. With guiding running my powertank is only good for about 2.5 hours.

Anyway, I captured a series of 11 x 10 minutes exposures @ ISO800 and added it to my previous nights 20 minute exposures. After staking in DSS and pulling and pushing in PS, this is the result.

Photobucket

It's an improvement, there's a bit more in there, not as much as I thought there might be though. I may well have another go, next clear night and see what happens with 15 minute ISO800 subs.

No comments: