Thursday 2 April 2009

The Moon, Day's 5 and 6 and More data for M81/82

I managed to grab a shot of the moon with the Skymax in a hole in the cloud for day 5, the image isn't great, the scope didn't have time to cool down, and that is important, it was also a bit rushed thanks to the clouds buzzing around, but I got it.

Photobucket

Then today has been lovely clear blue skies, with the odd whisp of cloud drifting through. Only to clear completely just after sunset. This time I allowed the Skymax to cool, even though it's near ambient anyway as it's kept in the garage, and I could tell the difference straight away, even through the camera Viewfinder.

Photobucket

I lifted up the colour also.

Photobucket

I had been concerned that perhaps the Skymax needed collimating, and was going to try a startest, I will at some point, but I think these images indicate that it's actually ok.

Then I setup the rig for some more time on M81/M82. By using the 24x80 finder scope, I spent a lot less time faffing trying to find them, so have got a lot more time imaging. Although, for some reason, I seem to be only able to get 2 minute exposures, whereas I was getting 3 last time out. Actually thinking back on it, I may know why. When I setup the HEQ5's polarscope I set it up using GMT. My watch, now being on BST is one hour ahead of GMT. I used my watch time, not GMT for the setting circles on the polarscope, so I guess that the Polar Alignment was a little out. Must remember that one.

So after running for nearly 3 hours, I got another load of 2 minute subs. Stacking in DSS, which threw one away, I ended up with 168 subs stacked, 134 x 2 minutes and 34 x 3 minutes, with 63 darks, 63 flats and bias frames, then stretched and processed in PS.

Photobucket

I'm really pleased with the result, and I don't think there is any benefit in going further, at least until I get guiding working that is.

Now, I've got to work out what to do next.

No comments: