Tuesday 29 January 2008

Jan 28th. Sky, wot sky ??

Took a look out last night, on lots of occasions, but the sky was covered in a blanket of fluffy looking stuff tinged with odd white and yellow patterns on the underside. Yes, I've obviously upset the cloud pixies again, by stating this blog. Ho Hum. So after watching University Challenge, and getting my world record number of correct answers, 5 right (four of those were on Astronomy).

1) In the celestial coordinate system, what is measured in Degrees, Minutes and Seconds - Right Ascension
2) What is the name of the globe of the sky with Earth at it's centre - Celestial Sphere
3) What is the name of the plane within the Celestial Sphere, where the planets and the Sun are found - Ecliptic
4) What is the name of the point when the equator crosses the plane of the ecliptic - Equinox

Yippee. Still Not enough answers correct to get close to the mrs but she is very good at Univesity Challenge.

I took the opportunity of the lack of clearness overhead to have a play with some of the images I took from previous nights and try and improve on them in Photoshop Elements. For improve, read learn how to use elements better. After playing for a couple of hours, and not really making any real improvements in the images (I doubt that's because there's no more information there ;o)), I still have no real clue what the hell I'm doing in elements. Although, I was able to repeat the removal of star trails from my Hyades picture, although even that took far too long to figure out what to do again, even with the instructions (I actually had to resort to using the Help facility). In the end, I closed elements and trashed everything I'd done in it. I think the ones posted below are about as good as I'm going to be able to get them for now and quite some time to come. This won't stop me keeping on playing, but the layers and levels stuff is all a bit confusing. I can't tell what layer is being shown me on the screen, nor what really happens when the image is flattened and all the layers disappear, as this then appears to just be what was on screen. So much to learn to this photo processing.

2 comments:

BG! said...

Hi John.
It's good to see other folk blogging their observations. Keep up the good work! I'll add you to my blogroll sometime later today.
Cheers,
Stef.

BG! said...

OK, you're in there, hiding in the dropdown menu lists on the right-hand side, listed under "Astro Blogs".
Stef (http://beardedgit.com/)