Monday 28 January 2008

Lets get going

I've decided to jump on the Blog-wagon and use this site to post my Astro observation logs and links to any photos that I take. I'll see where this takes me. The obvious place to state I guess is at the beginning. Back in March last year, I decided to try and take some images of the total lunar eclipse. At that point, despite having had my camera (Minolta Z2) for nearly three years, I hadn't really got to grips with it, and truth be told, even now I still haven't, so the three or four images I took were not in focus and the images are not great. Then some months later as I was helping someone out with a little project, that required looking at the moon through a pair of binoculars (at this point a pair of 8x35) I was amazed at how much more of the surface could be seen. As I was coming up on my 15th year of employment with the same company, I decided I'd use my anniversary aware to purchase me a telescope. I started looking for review etc, and joined a couple of forums. Here I discovered that the best start was to not leap in and buy a scope, but to invest in a pair of at least 10x50 binoculars. This I did (actually going for 12x50) and found to my amazement, the total buzz that looking up at what you think you can see, and discovering that there is just so much more there. And even greater, finding objects that are so far away and so dim, that you just can't see them with your eyes, yet through the binoculars look so spectacular. Anyway enough for now. I'll be back later, with my initial observing reports, using the Binoculars, and more details on where I'm at now (a whole 3 months later ;o)).

No comments: