Monday 28 January 2008

My First Reports (using Binoculars)

Friday 30th November

I managed to get out with the Binos for about 45 minutes last night. Had a good look around, but couldn't identify most of what I saw, although it was very spectacular. I was able to find and identify

NGC869 - Double Cluster
M31 - Nebula in Andromeda
M42 - Nebula in Orion (I think I was just about able to see some whispiness, but I can't be sure as I'm not certain what to expect to see)
Mars (that was easy...)
Comet Holmes, it's got a lot dimmer in a very short space of time
And probably the best so far

NGC1432 - Pleiades. Very small, but brilliant view.

Saturday 1st December

I was finally able to figure out where the constellation Auriga was on Saturday night, and using the guide, was, just about able to, find M36, M37 and M38 using averted vision. I was well chuffed.

Friday 7th December

Tonight is the first proper clear night in a about a week here and I made it outside for nearly an hour. I started by managing to get some lovely blobs on my digicam of the Pleiades, it's got a 10X optical zoom lens, so figured it would be pretty close to my Binos for FOV, but I just can't seem to get the thing to focus. Never mind. So I had a good long look instead. I then moved on to Comet Holmes, still very visible if dimmer. Had a brief wander around to practice finding object to look at, and found a few items quite easily without having to refer to Stellarium. I found the Andromeda Galaxy, M36 and M38 in Auriga and a look at Mars. After that, and a quick referral to Stellarium, I found 35 and M103. I may have managed to spot the California Nebula, but I'm really not sure, although I'm pretty certain I was looking in the right place. I had a good long look at the Pleiades again, I must confess that the sisters are turning into one my favourite at the moment. At this point, I had a bit of a shock 22_yikes , as some pilot decided to fly his rather large passenger plane through my FOV . After that onto the Orion Nebula, I can definitely see more there now than I could a few weeks ago when I first started. I tried to find M78, but I don't think I managed that, then had a quick look at Polaris to see if I could find the "Engagement Ring" and I was amazed how easy it was to pick up. At that point, my fingers decided that was enough (I'd forgotten to put my gloves on Embarassed Embarassed )

Nevertheless, Despite the chilled fingers, I'm feeling quite pleased, that after only about a month of looking, I'm now learning my way around and find some DSO's. The Bino's were a great investment and thanks to all those who wrote that on the forums.

No comments: