Friday 15 August 2008

A couple of good clear nights

Haven't had this in quite some time, a couple of clear nights. It's been great.

Wednesday 13th August, I didn't get a lot of specific observing done, as I was out looking for Perseids. I definitely saw one low and fast to the east. I also managed to get some photos.

The Moon
Photobucket

The Moon and Jupiter
Photobucket

And I caught one Perseid in this shot, upper left
Photobucket

Then onto last night. 14th August, Whilst I was out capturing the images for my other posts, I used the Lidl Bins for a good look around. I started out with looking at the Moon (I did consider getting the scope out, but it's too low and I can't make the scope high enough). However, even using the bins, there's plenty of sights to see upon the face of Lunar, identifying them now that's another ballgame entirely.

I then had a wander around Cassie, Perseus and Andromeda. M103 and NGC663 were first up, easy to find now after various hunting sessions last winter. Nearby the double, NDC869 and 884. Of course the Mirfak Assoc, can't miss that one out. I then went back up to Cassie, and followed the line across looking for the Kemble Cascade. I'm pretty sure I found it. Then back to Andromeda for a peek at M31. I really enjoyed the combination of taking images and viewing with the bins.

Here's the images
The Moon, this is a crop of the image using the 55-250 at 250mm
Photobucket

Iridium 63, Mag -4, the position of this put the flare smack bang in the middle of Perseus, crossing the Mirfak Associaton, at 55mm on the kit lens
Photobucket

I caught a satellite passing through Cassiopeia whilst capturing images for a little experiment
Photobucket

And finally my little experiment. I wanted to try and capture a sequence of shots spaced out to show the effect of rotation. I setup the camera at 55mm, and used my timer remote to take 5 x 30 second exposures, at 3 minute intervals. I will be doing this again, but I setup to try this before the flare and really wanted to capture that, so ran out of time. Sorry about the scale, but to make the image of a reasonable size it has to be.

Photobucket


No comments: