Sunday 31 August 2008

First Light, Skymaster 15x70 and a star trail

Thanks to Andy (high25 @ AC), I'm now the proud owner of a set of 15x70 monster bins. I got the monster bins out (they are pretty darn big, at least compared to the 10x25, 10x50 and 12x50 bins), after adjusting them earlier today in daylight. Whilst I was trying to capture the star trails shot, I had a good look around with them. The light grasp is something else, for a handheld easy to use and point instrument, they are nearly as good as my scope. I had a look through the milky way and got totally lost in the huge number of stars... (seems to be happening a lot at the moment Very Happy ).

Then I decided I really ought to have a look at a few targets.. M31 was up first, and the view was much better than bins, almost as good as the scope.
Then onto the Mirfak assoc, almost filling the field of view. Same with the double cluster, up to Cassie and the clusters around there were clear. I had a thought I'd go find Mr Kemble's starfall, and after only a moments search, found Kemble's cascade quite easily, and the cluster at it's bottomost end was quite clear (I don't remember it's designation).

I then turned around and had a look for the coat hanger, having found this once, it's much easier to find, and it nearly filled the FOV. Onto Jupiter and the moons were easier to see thanks to the higher mag, but it was harder to keep still. I couldn't use the tripod as the camera was on it Very Happy

Then someone turned the lights on, and that knackered that.

Great set of Bins, and they are going to get lots of use.

My star trails shot, after a bit of experimentation to get the right settings, 10 minutes f3.5 iso100, NC tools to remove LP and colour grad looks like :

Photobucket

No comments: