Saturday 2 August 2008

The Partial Solar Eclipse

When I woke up, it looked promising for the eclipse, so after a few minutes thought, I came up with a plan for an impromptu Solar Projection device. This basically involved using a ruler attached between the Bino mount and tripod head with some card attached. Then with the Binos attached, the Binos would project onto the card. Like so

Photobucket

With some cloud dodging I managed to capture six images using the above device and merged them into a montage. I appear to have got a little distortion on the image, and I'm not sure if this is because of the flex in the card or the angle on the camera. Either way, I'm not sure it matters.

Photobucket

This has raised some interesting questions about Solar observing, and I think I have now found a use for my Celestron 60mm Frac. I'll just need some Solar Film.... Might be time for a call to FLO.

No comments: