Monday 6 October 2008

The Association and Double

I had one clear night over the weekend, Friday. I got out the scope and setup. One star aligned on Mirfak, this time I used the camera with live view zoomed all the way in, it worked very well, and I didn't have to faff about with focus to any huge degree as it was pretty close to where I'd left it the night before. A minor tweak of focus using live view and I was ready. This time, I decided to use my alignment star and image the Mirfak Association. I set the remote up to take 60x30 second exposures and left it to it. I had stuff to get done, but having the timer remote means I can leave my gear to it, get results on a clear night, when I can't actually get out.

60 subs later, I shot 10 dark frames, then decided I'd try some flat frames again, this time setting the camera to Av mode and letting it decide on the exposure required. I booted up the lappy, ran nodepad, maximised it, held it over the end of the scope and fired 10 shots. I then recapped the scope, set the camera to the same settings and shot another 10 dark flats. I then set the camera to 1/4000 (Faster shutter speed) and shot 10 bias frames.

Having decided to go back to the double cluster and have a go again but with shorter subs, I shot a further 10 darks at 15 seconds. Using the NexStar tour function I slewed to the Double cluster. Setup the timer for 90 x 15s and set it running. Some time later, all done and everything a tad damp, I packed up.

Then came the processing. I downloaded the frames, set them up in DSS and started the Mirfak image going. 2.5 hours later it finished, but had a strange green tint to it. I stacked my other image, the same... Hmm, I scratched my head for a while and thought it might be the flats, the lappy was on battery and not running at full power, so the screen was dimmed. I restacked without them, and still green. Bearing in mind we're talking 2.5 hours per stack here, this took quite some time. I then stacked again, this time removing the bias frames and putting the flats back. This worked, so I restacked the other image without bias frames. A little processing in PS and this is the results..


The Mirfak Association
Photobucket

The Double with shorter subs
Photobucket

Hopefully next time I can get out too. I've also got a couple of friends want to come around and look at the moon so hopefully we'll get a couple of clear nights this coming weekend. I also wouldn't mind the oppo to try a few things out, both with the 450d and the webcam on the moon.

No comments: