Wednesday 29 October 2008

Last nights near disaster

Well, it started out clear, at 1930, so kids in bed, I lugged out the scope, powerpack, and went to fetch the camera. Having carefully fitted the CLS filter to the nosepiece, I removed the 55-250 lens, started to fit the T adapter, and watched as my prized and most used lens fell, in slow motion, crashing to the floor crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby . I gingerly picked it up, half expecting bits of glass to come spitting out the end. Thankfully, the body didn't even appear marked, so I put the caps back on and securely put it back in the bag. Went back out, attached the camera and started the power up and align (I figured in true mastermind style, I'd started so I'd finish). Anyway, as I was slewing to Mirfak, the clouds moved in, in force. I packed up again. Shame as I could, before the clouds moved in, faintly see the ribbon of the milky way passing overhead.

After all was back inside, I popped the 55-250 lens back on and started testing. I've done more testing this morning, and it appears to have survived unscathed. Phew...

A word of caution... Make sure everything is secure before moving onto something else...

Having captured a shot this morning with the dropped lens, through the kitchen window, I can safely say it's working fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I think I would have had a mental breakdown had that happened to me. Glad the lens is working fine! Cracking shot of the squirrel BTW :)

John said...

Thanks Ewan... it was a near thing