Saturday 11 October 2008

M33 and some moons

It was clear again on Wednesday, and I started off with a shot of the moon. I'd forgotten that I'd included my new (for me anyway, but it's second hand really) Astronomik CLS filter in the camera adapter, so when I setup and shot the pictures of the moon, they all had a green tint. I also used my "new" Vivitar OM mount 2x Teleconverter to increase the image scale. The result is:

Photobucket

I removed the TC and setup the mount properly, one star align on Mirfak, focused on Mirfak and slewed to M33. I set the timer remote for a stack of 100 x 1 minute exposures. I ended up throwing away 17 due to tracking errors. Once that was complete, I grabbed 10 darks, and used the laptop with notepad maximised to take some flat frames and then grabbed some dark flats too. This time I appear to have got these right as the stacked image showed no sign of vignetting. After much mucking about in PS trying to get the detail out, I ended up going with my first somewhat rough edit. I can't get it better than this... I think that shooting with ISO1600 has introduced too much noise.

Photobucket

On thursday, I managed to grab a few shots of the early evening moon. The sky got mistier until it clouded out later on.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: