Saturday 4 October 2008

M34 - 2nd Oct

Another clear night on Thursday, I'm being spoilt. I opted to go for a single target that being M34. I setup, powered up, did a single star align and slewed. Something odd was going on. The location didn't look right at all. So I slewed to a known target location, and again, way out.. After doing this 3 times, I decided something had gone very wrong with the alignment. So I powered of the mount and started again. It was then I found the error. When I'd originally entered the time, I'd set it wrong, out by one hour in fact. So instead of entering 2130... I'd put in 2230. Ho Hum. I set the mount up again, and this time made sure I used the correct time. Aligned on Mirfak, used Mirfak to focus, using Liveview zoomed, then used the goto to slew to M34. I setup the timer remote and left it running. Meanwhile, I was having a look around with the 10x50's. Given the area of the sky, it was the usual suspects. The double cluster, M31, Kembles Cascade. And at one point a single Meteor shot across the zenith, west to east.

After a little while a small patch of cloud came through, so I had to stop grabbing light frames. I used the opportunity, as I couldn't see M34 to grab 5 dark frames and maybe 6 flat frames although I'm not too sure. I'd read somewhere, that using a laptop with Notepad maximised works, so I figured I'd try it. Anyway. After grabbing these, the clouds had moved on, so I continued to capture light frames until I had 61 in total. After checking and discarding 3 of them, I then stacked the remaining 59 in DSS, played with the image in DSS and ended up with

Photobucket

No comments: