Wednesday 25 June 2008

Hacked Off

I'm getting hacked off with this weather. It's supposed to be summer, where's the clear skies ? Last night, there was a real doozy of a flare predicted. Mag -7, passing just over Saturn, Mars and Regulus. The clouds had been patchy all day and it looked like I might get away with it. 15 minutes before hand, there was a nice clear patch across the western horizon and I could clearly see Saturn and Mars. I setup the SatCatcher in anticipation. 3 minute before, I dashed out, checked everything, looked up, and right where the flare was due to take place, a monstrous band of thick grey cloud. Gutted.

This morning, before work, I had a little walk, and there in the blue sky was the half moon. Excellent thought I, I'll grab the camera when I get back and get a shot of that. Of course, the clouds had moved in. Through patience and nipping in and out most of the morning, I did manage to get a shot of it.

Photobucket

There's another flare tonight, Mag -0 so nowhere near as dramatic, but also close to Saturn and Mars. I'll see if the clouds can spoil that shot to.

No comments: