Thursday 26 June 2008

The Sky, It's full of stars

A very clear night last night, but I'd agreed to help a friend out with their computer. A flare was set to appear, and we both popped out to take a look (no camera or SatCatcher). We didn't see the flare, but did see a couple of other satellites and I realised exactly how clear the night was by looking up. After a quick look around, pointing out a few of the sights, we went back to finish of the computer. I eventually got home just after midnight. The County Council turns off most of the streetlights after midnight to save power. Looking up, I could clearly see the band of the milky way running across the stars. Of course, I dashed in side and grabbed the camera and tripod. I snapped away, grabbing some 19x30 second frames. I was a little concerned as I was standing on my drive overlooking the road, but all was fine. After stacking in DSS (it worked this time) and processing with Noel's LP tool, sharpening etc, this is the result

Photobucket

I spotted a couple of satellites pass over whilst I was capturing, but I didn't note the time, so haven't tried to match them up on HA. Then I swapped lenses for the telephoto I now own and pointed the camera at Jupiter, I'd seen a capture done this way on SGL. After mucking with the settings, I finally found the best and captured this

Photobucket

In order from left to right we have :

Callisto, Europa, Jupiter, Io and Ganymede

After I'd processed all these, and was on my way to bed, I spotted a bright glow through the hazed glass on the front door. Grabbing the telephoto lens and camera again, I grabbed a shot of the moon

Photobucket

I love this camera. I also really enjoyed last nights Astro activities. If the weather holds, staying clear, then, as has been suggested by Dangerous_Dave on AC, I'll have a go at capturing more shots of Jupiter and try and animate them. Thanks Dave.

No comments: