Wednesday 23 April 2008

Testing the Bressers

After I'd got everything completed that needed to be done this evening, it was already gone 10:30pm. Whilst the day had ended clear and the skies had been clear a couple of hours before, of course, the clouds had been drawn by the idea that I might get out. Still there were some gaps and I decided to try out the Bresser 10x50 bins from Lidl. I had a look around, took a look at Saturn and Mars. Was unable to find M44 or any other clusters, of course the patches of cloud parked themselves in just the wrong places, and I took a look at Mizar and Alcor. I must say, for the price, these are superb. The view is clear and sharp across the entire field, they are light enough to not be a problem handheld, yet provide the same light gathering and not a lot less magnification than my Celestron bins. Mechnically, they are also much better. The Celestrons have a habit of slipping focus as they are used, but the Bressers certainly don't and whilst the comparative lightness doesn't inspire for build, everything just fields more solidly put together. I can see these getting a lot more use and the Celestrons getting retired. Now, if only I had a local Lidl and could go grab some more. Ah well.

No comments: