Tuesday 8 April 2008

Young Moon and Constellations

I had to go attend a meeting yesterday evening, so missed out on what is probably the best night in weeks. C'est la vie. However, on the way there I spotted this thin sliver of silver hanging in the evening sky. A quite spectacular lunar crescent. The sun had settled behind the houses and objects in the west, yet the sky was still too bright for the stars to have appeared. I just wish I'd had my camera with me to grab a shot or few.

On the way home, several hours later, the sky was still clear so I spent some time having a good look around at the spring constellations. I spotted, Leo, Cancer, Gemini, Auriga, Bootes, Ursa Major, Coma Berenices and others, that I didn't recognise, I'll have to have a look with my planisphere handy at some point soon. I was also quite surprised to still be able to see Perseus and Cassiopeia, but I think this is more down to my normal observing location, the back garden and they hide in the trees from there.

As it was already quite late, I've been working today, and I've not been well I decided not to get the scope out. It's a shame, but sometimes other things have to be done.

No comments: