Tuesday 26 February 2008

Hyperion 2 - The 5mm Arrives

My new gear arrived today, courtesy of Steve from FLO. His usual superb job, ordered yesterday morning, arrived today. I must say that having thought the 17mm Hyperion was big, I got a bit of a surprise. The 5mm is even bigger. I've managed to get it in my flight case, but I had to take out the plossls to get it to fit. I've done a quick comparison test between the Hyperion and the Ortho on my usual fence, and it's so much easier to use. The Ortho is a good little eyepiece but the exit pupil is very small, and the eye relief is quite short. This meant that when I was studying the moon the other day, I kept brushing the top of the eyepiece with my lashes, not a problem, but a little irritating. Also, the eye position on the exit lens is pretty particular. Now, the Hyperion by comparison, is a dream to use. Long eye relief, really wide exit pupil, get the eye at about the right position, easy with the eye cup in place, and the image is viewed in a relaxed easy way. The FOV seen between the two is also significantly different. The Hyperion shows what looks like about twice the field of the Ortho. This is estimated based on the amount of fencing seen around the post. This may just be me, but achieving focus on the Hyperion also seems easier, perhaps it's a little less sensitive to being spot on.

The dovetail bar has pre-drilled holes in just the right places, so that when the rings are in place on my scope, the tube ring holes, line up perfectly, no drilling required. This is excellent news for me. Now I just need to determine the correct screw size for the tube rings. The Moon filter looks to be a good piece of kit, but I can't try this out until some time later. Probably not tonight by the looks of the weather.

The oddity of the image editing problems I've been having, has been tied down to the fact the input images are jpg's and don't have enough information in them for decent editing. I need to test out the camera raw mode. However, I was able to, using very gentle level's and curve's improve one of my ISS pictures a little. I think I still overdid it a bit, as the image no longer looked so natural. I wasn't happy with it, so didn't save it, but the exercise was worthwhile.

No comments: