Friday 8 February 2008

New Gear and Clear Skies... What more can you ask for

Well, here was I, expecting heavy cloud tonight, given that the Hyperion arrived today. But no. Clear skies. In fact probably the best I've been out looking at the stars in. Where to start. The beginning I spose...

As usual, I started out with the firm favourites, but this time I used the 17mm Hyperion. It took me a little while to get to grips with the best viewing distance on the ep. The plossls and the ortho I have all have quite short eye relief. However, the Hyperion is almost a sit back and watch from a distance by comparison. I got the hang of it eventually though, I'm pleased to say.

So I started with The Sisters (M45), in all their usual beauty, spread out in glorious detail. After spending a while I moved onto M42. Not quite so spectacular in the 17mm Hyperion, my scope is too short, but in a longer scope, this would be brilliant. Still an amazing view. Then a quick look at the Hyades. A little too large for the FOV, but still nice to look at. Then my neighbour turned on the upstairs lights. Not nice...

So I turned around and put all that light behind me. Had a look at the Polaris engagement ring. First using the 17mm Hyperion, then changed to the 20mm Plossl for comparison. Now the Plossl is a pretty good ep, but the Hyperion is real good. The FOV compares well, not a lot in it between the Hyperion and the Plossl. The Hyperion has higher magnification, ok not a lot, but it's there. The view in the Hyperion is easier to see and from a greater distance and seems somehow flatter. Anyway, suffice to say, I'm very pleased with the Hyperion, and now want more of them even more than I did earlier. Damn this is gonna cost.

Anyway, where was I, oh yes, the Polaris engagement ring. A very nice view of this and Im sure I saw more stars than I had before. I then moved onto the Dipper and had a look at the Horse and Rider (Mizar and Alcor). A nice double, very easy to see. The the lights went off next door. I swung back around and went back to my original plan. Yes for once I had a planned list of targets. As you'll see I didn't get them all, not by a long shot. Some of them I think are just too faint for my little scope and some I had no guide for, I spotted them on Stellarium and they just aren't in Turn Left at Orion ah well.

Anyway, back to the plot. I went up to Auriga and found M36, M37 and M38 and had a look around there. Afterwards, I moved past Gemini and whilst I was swinging the scope around, very easy to do, I lift it up, move the entire thing tripod and all, and put it back down again. I noticed what look like a smal fuzzy path to the left and slightly below Gemini. Hmm, thought I, not noticed that before. Lined up the scope and there was M44 the Beehive cluster. It was a great sight briefly as the kitchen light in my house got turned on right in front of me. That nearly hurt. And I decided I'd leave my session for now, head back inside for a while (as it was still quite early) and spend a little time with the rest of the family, who had just got in.

About an hour later, and the clouds still hadn't arrived. I figured I was observing on borrowed time, so I'd better get on with it. All set up again. Start with Saturn this time, and as spectacular and well formed, if small, sight as ever. After watching for a while, I spotted a couple of moons (Rhea and Titan, according to theSky and Telescope Saturn moon calculator). Excellent. I then hunted down M47, but M46 eluded me, I think my scope just hasn't got the light gathering for some of these objects. I moved on and found Cor Caroli, I could very clearly see the double split nicely. The gap was pretty small in the Hyperion, but it was there (no need for a mind the gap here).

I went back to M44 next, as I was using this as a starting point for another object. This time I got to study it for a while without lights coming on. I think I've found me a new favourite. This cluster is a real stunner an I'll put it up there with the Sisters. (hmm, now there's a thought, the Sisters in the Beehive...probably best to not go there). From M44, I found M67 not an easy target to find. Oddly, I couldn't find VZ Cancri which is a Binocular object, but hey. Maybe I should have been using my Bins.

I then went back to the Dipper and had another hunt around for M81 and M82. I do believe I found them, either that or I had too many tears in my eyes from the cold, but as I kept wiping my eyes, I think I can chalk them up. Very faint and only just discernible as a couple of smudges. The smudges stayed put on the background when I moved the scope, rather than coming with me, I took this as a good sign.

I then moved back to Sirius, and hopped across to M93. A faint little cluster, again I think I only just about managed to get this one. Figured from here, I ought to go try and estimate the magnitude of Epsilon Aurigae, and I reckon it was about 3.3 again. Given that I only checked it a couple of night ago, I think this is probably fair. I then had another look at M37 and M38 whilst trying to find a smiley face of stars that was mentioned on one of the forums. No such luck. Back to M45 to see the Sisters again, onto Perseus for the Double, and I figured it was time for a drink and my toes were getting cold.

A very enjoyable evening, with a great new eyepiece. Just gotta rustle up some more pennies for at least one more... A new favourite object, and a fair number of Messiers added to the collection, gonna have to start me a list. The forecast is good for the next few days, so fingers crossed, and hope to get at least a couple more good sessions in. Gonna enjoy my drink.

No comments: