Thursday 14 February 2008

Hyperion update

I discovered just now, having found an advert for the Hyperion that arrived in a Sky @ Night that there is a fold up eye cup. I haven't been using this (I didn't know it was there), and it has made seeing tricky on occasion, as the eye position on the Hyperion is further from the exit lens than on the Plossls I have.

The problem has been that get the eye to close, and part of the view blanks out (Kidney Bean
effect ??). By turning up the eye cup, the eye is position correctly, and a quick test on my usual fence has meant that the blackout effect has been pretty much eliminated. There were clues in the box, I couldn't figure out why there were two ep caps, one which didn't fit etc. Boy I feel dumb now.

Still this little discovery can only make my experience with the Hyperion even better. I still want more of them though... I'm figuring the 24mm and the 5mm, which with my 2x barlow (that'll probably need to be upgraded too..). 24mm, 17mm, 12mm, 8.5mm, 5mm and 2.5mm. This seems a good range to me. Ho hum, the shopping list grows longer again.

No comments: