Wednesday 5 March 2008

Iridium 95

I only got out to check out the Iridium 95 Flare last night, and I nearly missed that. I spotted the moving dot and tracked it for a moment or two and it faded out. Now according to Heavens Above, Iridium 95 wasn't due to enter Earths shadow but rather to set. Therefore, I concluded that I can't actually see the Iridium satellites except during the flare. On this basis, when I thought I had missed the flare of Iridium 32 the other night, I hadn't. I'd seen the flare and assumed it was the actual satellite track instead. Silly Me... I guess that only seeing one firsthand at the right moment could show this. Ah well, now I know.

My Vista 80sLT is all now setup, the Dovetail has been drilled and the mountings attached. The Long and Lat have been entered along with the time and date, the date is in US format. Now gotta wait till dark to be able to test it properly. Of course, the skies are currently crystal clear to tease me, and will no doubt cloud over before darkness settles into place. I'm crossing my fingers however, and looking forward to being able to study the ringed wonder for more than 20 seconds at a time.

I've also emailed Steve at FLO about the Hyperion Photo attachment gadgets so that I can hook my camera up properly for afocal imaging.

No comments: