Saturday 8 March 2008

A little binocular viewing - in more ways than one

Well, last night was the first clear night since my new mount arrived, and as tradition would have it, I was involved in a scout evening which meant I didn't have my scope. I did however take my Bins and tripod. After briefly discussing my planisphere, we trotted off outside. The sky was very clear and bright, and a group of us ended up playing a game of constellation spotting. Starting with the one a surprising number new, Orion. After discussing Orion for a little while, we did a quick tour of the visible constellations, the field was surrounded by high trees.

I can't remember the exact order, I didn't have my notepad with me, but we saw:

Orion
Gemini
Cassiopeia
Leo
Canis Major
Taurus
and Cancer
I pointed out where Andromeda was, but the trees were in the way. Then I pointed out where both Mars and Saturn were. Of course the true wonder of Saturn wasn't viewable but they know where to look for it. I also pointed out the Pleiades and the Hyades, where they all spotted the double star (I think it's) Sigma Tauri (one down from Aldeberan in the lower section of the V). Most of them were able to make out the faint blob which is all we could see of the Beehive too, without optics.

A little while later, I setup the Bins and they took it in turns to look at M45 the Pleiades. All of them were surprised at how many more stars they could see using the Bins than with just their eyes. Then the adult helpers had a look. After looking at the Pleiades, I turned the bins up to the Perseus Double and then onto the Beehive and once they had both seen that and somewhat more dark adapted, onto Orion for M42. There were a fair few Wow!! comments and expressions of surprise how much more detail could be seen. This was great. Hopefully, whilst I didn't get to do a lot of viewing personally, a number of newcomers to this great hobby have been introduced and may now proceed further. Even if they don't a little exposure to Astronomy, won't do any harm and them just talking about it may, hopefully, encourage others. We shall see.

No comments: