Saturday 15 March 2008

Oh no, not again

I hear cries of oh no, not again as I sit here reprocessing Leo once more. This time, I tried a couple of different stacks. Firstly using only half the frames, this was somewhat better. Then lastly I chose just those frames where DSS reported there being at least 20 stars. Oh boy is there more to see. I also tried to process the image far more gently than before using Levels, Curves and Noel's tools. This means that this is a stack of only 3 and a half minutes. Here's the picture.


I think it's a lot better. Although the not totally black background seems to have some odd blurring.

I was also in Millets today, and spotted one of these on the shelves. These had been suggested by BG on SGL as a superb red light head torch. When I asked how much, the person on the counter, checked it, then deducted 50% from the price. She asked where I'd gotten it from and I said the shelf and she confirmed the 50% price. I asked again to be sure and yes, she was only going to charge me half price. Who am I to say not to such a bargain, so I now have a superb head torch in the collection, and it all fits into a very neat and small pouch. Excellent.

No chance of any star gazing tonight. The clouds have now moved in with a vengeance and they are crying all over everything. So not is it only grey, it's also now wet and miserable. Shame. The forecast is indicating that my next clear night is likely to be Monday. Then I should be able to give the Goto on the NexStar a good workout and check the slews are good with the external power. Also I can check and verify that the tightening on the Alt bracket allows for proper usage of the 5mm Hyperion and Barlow and study the moon some more. I've got to also work out what to do about the camera situation with Vignetting... Hmm...

No comments: