Friday 9 January 2009

A bit more lunar fun

What a strange day for the weather. The clouds came and went all day. I was able to grab a handheld shot, I thought I'd have a bash at something a little different, and tried to reverse the Earthrise shot, a bit daft... but hey

Photobucket

I had to pop out, and saw a wonderful Lunar corona in the clouds, but didn't have my camera or tripod with me to try and capture it. Anyway, the sky cleared away after that, and had a look at a couple of constellations with the eldest. Orion, Taurus and Gemini (he'd been asking me about them). So after getting home, I popped the C80ED on the tripod, grabbed the camera and TC and dashed out, to find the sky covered in clouds, can't have been more than 10 minutes later.

Time Passes ...

About an hour after that, I poked my head out and again the sky was clear. So I popped the C80ED on the tripod and tried again. This time capturing the moon at 1200mm (F15)

Photobucket

I had planned to setup the scope and try and sort out using the webcam for lunar capturing, but this was not to be, as by the time all was quiet, the fog had rolled in. The effect of the moon through the fog was quite astonishing, but the camera couldn't capture it, I've tried a few things, but no joy so far.

So instead, I had a play with my earlier image, popping the colour

Photobucket

Then cropping in to see what that would look like

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have to say that for crops from a single SLR image, they are better than my attempts at using the webcam to date...

No comments: