Saturday 24 January 2009

The ISS

Spotted an ISS pass prediction on HA and this was combined with a clear evening. Well who was I to say no to such an opportunity. I setup with the satcatcher, but ended up not using it. The ISS is too easy a target. Each pass is bright and clear.

I spotted that the pass was going to pass close to Venus, so too obvious to pass up..

Photobucket

Although it appears, thanks Shane, that I've also caught Uranus (a faint green trail just below Venus).

I swung around, as it looked like the pass was also going to go by the Pleiades. Unfortunatly I got this completely wrong and framed it badly, so didn't get the near miss (shame).

Photobucket

And finally, as the ISS passed through Gemini, I managed to catch it passing the foot of one of the twins. I appear to have caught 2 other satellites, Cosmos 2237 Rocket and one I can't find any details on. Also just to the right of the track, you can see M35.

Photobucket

I then had to go out, and when I got back, whilst the stars were visible, there was also a layer of mist that was causing odd effects with the stars, so didn't bother with anything else. Although I did point out a few stars and constellations to a visitor.

No comments: