Wednesday 7 January 2009

Getting silly with the Moon

Got a little while after work out under the stars (well the bright moon really) last night. I continued my play test with silly magnifications just to see what would happen with single exposures from the 450d. However, I grabbed a couple of 55-250 shots to start with just to get something in the can.

One from during the day

Photobucket

And one from after dark

Photobucket

Then I started cranking in the barlows..

This was shot with the 5x barlow and the 2xTC, focus was tough, but I got it a bit better than before.
Photobucket

As I was mucking around, I threw in the 2x Tal barlow as well.. Focus was nigh on impossible, breathing within 5m of the scope or mount made the view wobble about like a jelly on a trampoline.. But I got an image for my troubles, ok it's not very good.
Photobucket

Then having satisfied my curiosity and decided that getting that config to work was just to much like overly hard work, I settled back to just the 2xTC
Photobucket

Then popped the colour
Photobucket

Then, being done with the camera, I assembled for a short visual session, to show a relative the moon at about 200x. The view was amazing, if a little wobbly, and he couldn't believe how much detail there was to see. By this point, in spite of wearing three fleeces a coat boots, hat etc (having been out for all of 30 minutes), my toes felt like they were ready to drop off, so I packed up. After dinner, rather than go back out again, it had got colder. I headed for the pub but on the brisk walk there, pointed out a few of the constellations and sights to my friends.

No comments: